Do You Want to Learn Art? (Help Me to Help You)

Life Drawing
Image courtesy of Dan Johnson

For a long time, I’ve had an idea that I would like to teach art in some form.

Sure, I’m still studying art, but that doesn’t mean I don’t already have a lot to teach people. I think I’ll always have more to learn, but you don’t have to wait until you’re an ‘expert’ to start teaching others. There is always someone less experienced who can learn a lot from you.

So I want to start developing some sort of art training platform, where I can share my skills and help people become better artists.

I started another blog last year along those lines, but I never had a clear vision, and I didn’t have time to commit to it fully, so I eventually abandoned it. Here’s one video I made for that blog. Not so much a tutorial as a drawing demonstration. You can browse a few others on my YouTube channel.

Help Me to Help You

This is the part where I need your help. I’m still not entirely sure what sort of platform I want to create, what format the instruction will take, or even whether to present it here, or on its own separate site. So I’m looking for some feedback.

I have some ideas, but they are based on what kind of resource I think I would have found useful a few years ago. Obviously my needs are different from everyone else’s, so I wouldn’t want to spend months developing a product that I think is great, only to find that nobody wants it.

So to begin with, I’m just looking for a general expression of interest.

• Are you interested in learning to draw and paint?
  • Would you consider taking an online art course?
  • Is there any particular aspect of learning to draw and paint that you struggle with?
  • Have you ever looked for a particular kind of art instruction but been unable to find it?
  • Would you like to see occasional art instruction posts here on Right Brain Rockstar?

Any feedback or suggestions you have would be gratefully received. Please leave a comment below, or if you want to be informed of any developments, you can sign up for my newsletter.

8 Comments on Do You Want to Learn Art? (Help Me to Help You)

1. Pingback: New Tattoo Art Series - Dan Johnson Art

2. Emma says:

I am interested in learning drawing skills, from the very basics upwards. So the basics of pencil sketching, how to ‘see’ things properly, exercises to improve my observational skills, instruction in life drawing, and some of the theory behind that. I’d like to develop my skills so that I feel confident using them and have a foundation to build on x

Thanks Emma. Learning to ‘see’ is pretty much the essence of learning to draw, so that will definitely be included. Life drawing will probably also feature heavily.

3. Marsha says:

Hi Dan,
    I just realized that I didn’t respond to your questions about what I’d want in an online art course.
    First of all, I love your newsletters and have been enjoying the broad topics and perspectives you offer on art. I haven’t seen any other newsletter like it, so keep it up!
    My experience in taking art courses is very limited, and I’m still in the process of figuring out what my style is, the medium I want to work in, etc. In my ideal world, I would have a whole year to devote to nothing but making art without having to worry about how I’d feed myself. 🙂
    I agree with Emma’s comment: I want to learn to see the way an artist sees. Composition and the basics of form, colour, shape, and shadows. However, I’m wondering whether having other artists around is more important for me at this stage of my training… Going to a live, in person training rather than an online course, to build my confidence. I have only ever taken one community art course. I’m mainly self-taught and what interests me most is one on one feedback.
    Marsha

Thanks Marsha, that’s a big help! Value, shape, angles and relationships are absolute fundamentals which will definitely be included, along with more advanced subjects like colour.

Feedback from an instructor is definitely valuable, I’ll think about how I could incorporate that.

4. Patricia says:

Dear Dan,

I agree your website is unique. Please continue to give art instruction on rightbrainrockstar. You are doing an excellent job communicating your knowledge.

5. Chris says:

Dan,
    I am with those who have already responded. I am just learning the basic techniques but am using instruction books. I am more of a see it and then do it kind of learner so having an online course would be great. The area I live in doesn’t seem to have alot of offerings in learning the basics. So yes, I would be very interested in learning from the ground up!! Thanks….

Great, Chris. I’ll keep you posted of any developments. I am planning to release one or two video tutorials in the next few weeks, so maybe you could check those out and see if you like them.